Monday, October 20, 2014

The Joy of Theatre

Hey kids!  Look!  I'm posting on a day other than Saturday!

I just wanted to write a short post about the joy in my life right now.  Life can get me down sometimes.  The stress of some current situations in my life has giving me some stomach problems (I really didn't know I was letting it get to me so much) and I'm sure you know that if you're emotionally run down and then you get physically run down, you (meaning me) run the risk of getting a little depressed and overwhelmed.

That being said, I am extremely fortunate that God has given me the joy of theatre in a particularly hard time in my life.  I forgot how much the joy of watching literature come to life onstage transforms my moods.  I can go from having a very melancholy attitude towards the whole state of my life, to leaving a rehearsal feeling content and at peace.

I started working with a newer theatre company in our area this year.  They focus on more literary drama, rather than the musicals that seem to pervade the community theatre scene. As much fun as musicals can be, I have found that my heart belongs to the form of theatre this company performs.  I have felt so blessed to be able to perform with them, whether it be only having 1 line, or having a integral role in the plot.

I currently have a very small role in an original piece about Edgar Allan Poe (performed on Halloween, of course), and even though the show is really creepy, as I sat watching the first run-through tonight after my one scene was over, I couldn't help feeling the swell of happiness in my heart.  I have always loved being surrounded by talented, creative people, even though I feel incredibly inferior.  It just makes me feel so grateful for this gift God has placed in my life.  I'm happy with any part they are willing to give me, just to be surrounded by people who love theatre and literature as much (or more) than I do.  I have met some of the sweetest people doing community theatre over the last two years, and it has made my life so much richer.

I still feel a little out of place at our rehearsals.  If you know me in real life, you might find this hard to believe, but I'm relatively quiet and reserved in a setting like this, and I feel a little like I haven't found my place yet, but I'll get there.  For now, I'm content to just watch the process and enjoy the talent that has been placed in my life.  I feel like a goofball sometimes, because while the other actors are playing with their phones or chatting in a corner while a scene is being rehearsed, my eyes are glued to the action, assessing everything the actors are doing and just loving every minute of watching the characters unfold.

Yeah, I know, I'm a little odd... but then again, I'm a theatre geek at heart, and we're all a little odd.

After Halloween comes Christmas in my theatrical world!  I get to be in A Christmas Carol and I am super pumped!  I'll be singing Christmas carols starting November 3, people, so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!