Friday, November 28, 2014

Planning for 2015

Hello there!  Are you recovered from your food comas yet?  I had a lovely, low-key Thanksgiving this year, and I hope yours was equally as wonderful, whether you spent it with family, friends, or co-workers (I really appreciate the people who cooked and served my family our Thanksgiving meal yesterday!  I prayed for their sanity.)

I am not a shopper, so I am avoiding going anywhere today for Black Friday.  Instead, I'm going to start preparing for the next holiday on the docket and also gearing up for 2015!

I've been talking about my need to plan for awhile now.  I've always just had one of those cheap little calendars in my purse that are very thin and portable.  They worked great, but I started feeling like I needed a little more space and customization.

I began my paper planning idea by just using a random notebook for writing "to do" lists every day, as well as doing some journaling when the mood strikes.  That has worked wonderfully, but through that, I also got out of the habit of checking my little mini calendar.  I need it all in one place!!

Enter my first actual planner.  It is the M by Staples Arc Planner.  There are a few different options as far as size and covers, but I went with the most affordable option, since I'm not sure how this planning system is going to go, I didn't want to spend a ton of money right off the bat, and believe me, you can spend a TON of money on a planner if you really want to do so.

The planner I bought looks like this, and this particular one comes with a bunch of different customizable cardboard weight cover options to insert if I get tired of one.  I'm thinking of customizing it further by adding the year on their or my name with stickers.  We'll see.


The front is protected from wear and tear by this transparent plastic-y cover.  I have to admit, this cover is a little annoying as it doesn't slide around on the discs very well, but maybe it just needs to be broken in.


The system works by utilizing these discs.  It comes with a slightly smaller ring size than the one shown here (1/2 in).  I ended up buying these 1 inch discs separately because I added some things to it and didn't think everything would fit in the 1/2 in. discs.  The discs come as big as 1 1/2 inches, but at the present moment, I think that size looks ridiculous and don't really want them, but we'll see what happens.

The inside is pretty typical.  Tabs for the months...


a monthly view calendar, which is what I'm used to...


and then there's this weekly section, which is what I'm most interested.  You'll notice there's also a piece of paper down the middle, which I am planning on using for a running grocery list throughout the week, or weekly to-do's that don't need to be done on a certain day.  We'll see how that one pans out, but I'm excited about the customizable capability of this journal, nonetheless.


It also comes with a bunch of notebook paper, which is awesome because I'd like to use one planner for planning and journaling. 

Lots of room for journaling...

The last thing I bought for this planner was this clear plastic pouch to hold receipts and coupons.  I don't get a lot of coupons, but I do tend to let little pieces of paper float all over my house and bag.  I'm hoping that this little pouch will help me kick that habit and find things easier.

The other thing I'm hoping to do is get a little crafty with my planner.  As you can see, all the pages of this planner are very basic and gray.  I have been watching planning YouTube videos, and there are lots of people who go ALL OUT when it comes to decorating their planner pages.  I can't see myself being that involved, as the purpose of my planning is to help me utilize my time better, and I can't see wasting my time on decorating my pages to the hilt.  I do want to dress them up a little.

That being said, I think that over the course of the next year (and the end of this year), I'm going to show you what I do decide to do with the decoration and organization of my planner.  Hopefully, that'll keep me motivated to continue.

Do you use a planner?  If so, what do you use and what works and doesn't work for you?


1 comment:

  1. That's a great planner! I like the versatility of it. Can't wait to see what you do with it! I have a planner also. But since I got a "smart" phone, I am trying to utilize the calendar feature in it since I don't carry my planner with me everywhere. We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!