Tuesday, December 30, 2014

As 2014 Ends

2014 was really an interesting year for me, but not always in the ways I would like.  I have to say that I am really ready for 2014 to come to a close.  I went into the last couple of months feeling really down.  A really sucky thing happened a couple of months ago, and it has just colored every day from then on... but you know what?  I'm done with that!  I am not going to let one situation overshadow all the good that DID come out of 2014.  Sure, this wasn't my most fantastic year, but there were plenty of "firsts" for me and I should really feel good about my year.  In order to keep things in perspective, I'm going to do a little rundown of the good in 2014.

***
Sidenote: Any production photos in this post are credited to Wynne Jenkins in conjunction with hobnob theatre co.  Wynne and Hobnob have given the actors permission to share these photos, which is so lovely of them!


It really seems like I've been with Hobnob for a long time, so as I look back, it's hard to believe that I've only been acting with them since March of 2014.  My first experience with them was doing a dramatic staged reading of "Julius Caesar".  I have to admit, I was a little unsure of this when Kenny (our director) first asked me.  I had never seen a staged reading, and I definitely didn't know what would be expected of me performing in one.  It turned out to be a really fun and interesting experience!  I wouldn't mind doing one again.  I didn't know it then, but some of these crazy kids would become some very good friends of mine this year.  Some of them still intimidate me.

(oh, in case you're wondering from this teeny pic, I'm the 5th one from the right.  See the tiny girl with long hair?  That's me!)

In April, I participated in what ended up being probably my last Sing Hosanna production.  It was a "Jesus play" and a couple of my friends from church participated with me.  It was fantastic to get to know them better on a personal level, but the experience overall (of the show) was not my favorite and I came to realize that I had to be done with that group.  At this point, I cannot see myself working with them again, but one never knows.  I don't have any pictures of this production because I couldn't get the permissions from everyone who was in my photos.

Also in April, some friends and I went to visit another friend from college.  She and her husband opened a coffee house in their city, and it's doing tremendously well!  It was great to see them and to see all their hard work paying off.  I wish we lived closer so I could stop by the coffee shop on a regular basis, but alas, it will have to be a place for special occasions.  While there, we also celebrated two of our birthdays at a cool, quirky restaurant.  The food (and drinks) were delicious!


I saw a friend play Sally in "Your a Good Man Charlie Brown" and she did a fantastic job!  I knew she was talented, but Sally was the perfect role for her and I was impressed by the whole production.
Isn't she adorable!?  This is pretty much how she is in real life, too.  I just love her so much!


In June, I "ran" in my first (and probably last) Run or Dye event.  My 16 year old cousin and one of my good friends ran it with me, and it was great to connect with them, but the actual race was too crowded and I discovered how tough trail running is when you've only run on pavement.  I've since hurt my knee a bit and even though it's healed, I'm not sure I'm going to risk it anymore.  More mild exercise for me from now on!

My friend Erin came for a visit from NC in July and we met at the Pittsburgh Zoo.  It was a great opportunity to catch up, and to practice my photography skills.


In July, my uncle came to visit from Georgia and I ended up taking an unplanned "staycation" for an entire week.  It was a really fun week of boating, exploring Pittsburgh and just hanging out.  The weather was gorgeous the whole time!


Probably one of the most exciting things this year was being cast as Snout in my favorite Shakespeare play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream."  Not only that, but it was also the first Shakespeare in the Park experience in our community and it received rave reviews.  The community really rallied around the idea and is hoping for a repeat of the experience this summer... I hope I get to be a part of it if/when it
happens!
(photo credit: Wynne C. Jenkins)

(we had a Super Moon one night during our show, so we were taking pictures... not the best quality, but fun to do)


From August through September, I did a lot of outdoorsy things, which is very unlike me.  I went on nature walks with friends, went to a lot of fall festivals, and visited a winery where we sat outside and have a very Italian experience.




In October, my friend hosted a concert for her son in their home and I was thrilled to be able to attend.  I felt so "artsy" sitting in the living room of a beautiful home listening to these two guys on their guitars, drinking wine and eating cheese.  Classy and bohemian all at the same time.


On Halloween, I participated in another first for me.  I had a small part in an original play about Edgar Allan Poe and his works.  Even though I was only in a small section of the play, I enjoyed watching it and seeing the leads really get into their characters.  The guy who played Poe was fantastic!
(Photo credit: Wynne C. Jenkins)


Right after the close of our Poe play, I started rehearsals for "A Christmas Carol".  This is the first time I've ever gone from one play to another so quickly, but it was great.  I had no time to have withdrawal from Poe, and after such a dark, pretty depressing show as that, it was a complete 180 to start a Christmas show.  I had much more to do in this show, and I loved every minute of it.  The show went up on Dec. 19, the weekend before Christmas, and was wonderful.  I couldn't ask to be a part of a better theatre group, and I'm so glad they've been casting me so much this year.
Photo credit: Wynne C. Jenkins

***

Wow, after writing it all down, I can really see how much good there was in 2014.  I'm still ready to get going on 2015 and see what that brings, but now I'm not going to be so quick to say that 2014 was a bad year.  Far from it!  Yes, there were very cruddy things that happened towards the end of the year, but I am not going to focus on them.  I am trusting God to use those bad situations for good in my future, to learn from and to make room for more and better blessings in the years to come.  I'm ready to move onward and upward in 2015, to have more good times like those above, and to make memories with friends and family that I can remember for years to come.

Bring it on 2015!  I'm ready for you!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you did have a good 2014 overall. Glad you're able to see the bright side of things and not let a couple bad things bog you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great year! Sometimes a look back like this helps find all the good that was there. Here's to a great 2015!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!