Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Don't Take it Out on Me

I know I've been doing a lot of photo posts and upbeat things lately, and that is really what I want to focus on this year.  I want to focus on planning, scrapbooking, photography, and just general fun stuff.  However, I've been mulling over an issue for a few months now, and I really felt like I should just get it out there as something for people to think about and maybe start seeing situations in a different light, or maybe you can help me see things in a different light.  I'm open to discussion (but not arguing!).

I'm going to be a little bit general in my intro here, because this has to do with the situation that made the end of my 2014 very hard for me, but I don't want to run my mouth about the other party involved.  Basically, I was chastised by someone for sharing my opinions too freely.  Now, I really do not consider myself an "opinionated" person.  There are many, many times where I hold my tongue when I don't agree with someone, favoring a peaceful environment over getting my own voice heard.  I do not relish confrontation!  I don't think that it is particularly important to always have the last word, nor do I think people always care what I think.  They shouldn't always care.  I'm nobody special, generally speaking, so if my opinion really has no point for the betterment of the situation, I'm not going to share it.

BUT, there are certain situations where I believe sharing my opinion is warranted.  The big one is when I am involved in dealing with the other person's problems.  This is the thing I've been mulling over.  I know a lot of people say that sometimes they don't want advice and just want people to listen.  Okay... I kind of get that.  I want to bring it to you another way, though.  I believe that if you are going to talk to someone about your issues, you need to also be ready to hear something you might not like.  Don't take it out on the other person for sharing an opinion, even a harsh one, because ultimately, it was YOU who brought it up.  If you hadn't brought the issue up, the other person wouldn't have offered their advice or opinion on the matter.  They wouldn't know so they couldn't contribute!

Also, as adults, I think we need to have stronger backbones, both as the talker and the listener.  If I give someone advice on a matter, I also have to realize that the recipient is an adult and may not take my advice.  I have to be okay with that.  The recipient, in turn, has to evaluate the counsel of the person and decide whether or not to take the advice and if they don't like it, decide whether or not to continue to share their feelings on the matter.

In general, I think we need to stop playing the blame game.  If you're going to engage in a conversation, you have to be ready to hear the other side.  If you don't like it... shut your mouth!

But... this is just my opinion. :-P

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... from one person with strong opinions to another... I like this post. :)

    It's one thing if someone truly just needs to vent. But by the tenth time of venting they need to be open to a discussion on the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!