Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Surprisingly Happy

The end of last year was so rough on me that I am shocked when I find myself saying and thinking, "I am happy!"  God has really done some fun things in my life to show me that even the bad things can be turned around for good.

I can pinpoint two key instances in my life that have really helped shift my perspective on life as it stands right now.

1. The first, as I mentioned previously, started out bad but has really taken a turn for the better.  Last year I spent a lot of time surrounded by negativity.  Obviously, I didn’t want that negativity, but sometimes it’s impossible to avoid.  I lost a friend very unexpectedly due to misunderstandings and assumptions, but after the dust has settled, I’ve come to realize that giving that friendship up (whether temporarily or permanently) has been one of the best things for me right now.  There was just a lot of drama surrounding that relationship, and getting away from it has really freed my mind of some of the stress that had come along with it.  I won’t say any more than that, but I’m just really coming to terms with the whole situation and finally feeling a release from it all.  For awhile, it was exactly the opposite, so I'm thankful for the shift in perspective.  It’s amazing how much someone else’s drama and negativity can affect your own mood, so even though it's been a hard adjustment and I've had to purge my picture frames of fond memories I had with this friend, I've really been seeing how God has been working to strengthen other friendships, give me new friendships, and even make me more content to just be alone.

2.  The other factor in feeling much more relaxed and content is when I started carrying a planner.  I have really enjoyed having one dedicated space for to-do lists, appointments, writing ideas, trackers… just everything that I want to accomplish in a day that I might generally forget if it was just written on a list and shoved in my purse or put on my desk at home.  Sure, I'm still behind on my Bible in One Year, and I do still miss things on occasion, but in general, it's working out great.  I have felt way more productive and organized since starting the planner and I’m so happy that I randomly discovered a planner video on YouTube that ignited that spark.  

Winter can be a hard time for people.  Many people suffer from seasonal depression, and while I don’t have to worry about that too much, I do notice that if I’m not kept busy and am not organized, I tend to slip into a funk.  I wouldn’t call it depression, but “funk” is definitely the right word.


I'm finding a groove.  I'm keeping busy, staying strong (my word/concept for 2015), and focusing on what's important and trying not to obsess over what I cannot change.  I am content, happy, relaxed, and I'll admit, slightly nervous that this will all come crashing down soon... but that is only a little needling in the back of my mind.  I'm living in the moment and being thankful for what I've been given!

What do you do to stave off the Winter Blues?

Oh, I'm working on a post about journaling.  Stay tuned for that.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are happy & are able to put that negativity behind you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found letting people go to be one of the hardest things to do... but also one of the most freeing things.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!