Sunday, April 19, 2015

Week in Review - Week 16 - The Last Hurrah

I finally had a week where I had nothing scheduled except housework... and then I ended up shopping for patio furniture 2 or 3 nights after work, so I didn't get anywhere on said housework until this weekend.  Oh well.  Life happens.  It was a glorious weekend, to be sure.

The main event was Saturday evening.  I went to Grove City College and was part of the English/Theatre department there.  One of my favorite professors and directors is retiring after almost 40 years at the college and Saturday night was his retirement party and final performance as Prospero in "The Tempest".  While my friend Mike and I opted for our own dinner at a Mexican restaurant in town instead of the actual retirement dinner, we attended the play and post-show reception.

The play was phenomenal!  I might be bias, but I believe our school puts on professional level theatrical performances and this one was no different.  Every actor was spot-on, and of course, our professor as Prospero was superb.  I wouldn't be surprised if every alumnus there teared up at the end when Prospero sets Ariel free and then has his last monologue.
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands.
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant;
And my ending is despair
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so, that it assaults
Mercy itself, and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free 
It was a bittersweet moment.  It's sad to see him go, but for all of us who have had the privilege of studying under him, we will always hold on to our fond memories.  I'm sure he'll turn up at Homecomings in the future, so it is not goodbye for good.

It was also wonderful to see so many of my old theatre buddies.  Even though time has separated us and given us all very different lives 10 years later, it's great to come together for such a celebratory event and catch up.  It didn't last long enough and I didn't get to talk to the amount of people that I would have liked, but it will definitely be a memorable evening for me.  I love my school.

Well, let's move on to the photos of the week from the FMS Photo-a-Day Challenge, shall we?  I'm working on a non-photo related post here that will be up in the near future, I hope, but for now, let's stick with what we know.

April 13: Paper

I actually haven't gotten to scrapbook much this week, but I did get this page mostly done.  I am loving the pink that comes with the Steel Magnolia pages. :-)


April 14: Up
I looked up and saw the buds are starting to come out on the trees.  

April 15: Dinner
One of my favorite meals is spaghetti and meatballs.  If I didn't have willpower, I might eat it once or twice a week.

April 16: Where I work
I can't take photos of my real work place, but this is where I work on my crafty projects... my basement.  I'd like to make a craft room upstairs, but when you live in a 2 bedroom townhouse, it's just not practical.

April 17: An Ordinary Moment
Thankfully, this is an ordinary scene in my day to day life.  I live near a lot of farms and rural settings, so lovely landscapes like this are not uncommon.

April 18: Fluffy
Um... cottonballs?  Fluffiest thing in my house right now. :-P

April 19: Together
These two flowers showed up "together" in my garden this spring.  I don't remember planting them, but they're gorgeous, so I don't mind at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!